What is Hackathon?
A Hackathon is a collaborative software (or hardware) development meeting or event held over a short period of time. The term combines the words hacker (a restless person, anxious for knowledge. An expert enthusiast, often associated with software, hardware and technology) and marathon (in the sense of a competitive, collective experience with a common goal).
Objetives of the CyberCamp 2017 Hackathon
In the Hackathon of CyberCamp 2017, every team will compete versus other teams to develop and to improve tools, solutions and/or aplications of open cybersecurity code, new or previusly developed, creating new funcionalities, improvements or innovative capacities to the free software choosed.
Participants must challenge themselves to the extreme, collaborate in a team and demonstrate their knowledge of security and their development skills. The best projects will win the competition.
Nowadays Hackathon is a prestigious competition reconized by the cybercomunity. The hope of this edition is to even go further and increase the quality and the utility of the projects developed in the competition.
The contributions done during the Hackathon will provide new capacities for the cibesecurity society, achieving results in a short time. Additionaly, we expect a continuity and a future evolution of the contributions and tools developed. ''Hackathon should be only the beggining...''
What's more, the Hackathon has the following objectives and benefits:
- Identification of talent and technical and creative skills of the participants.
- Educational environment (teaching and learning) for the improvement of investigation skills and software development.
- An environment that facilitates the development of social skills, promoting collaboration, teamwork and networking.
- Development of skills and experience of a competitive environment.
- A recreational setting that promotes enjoyment and entertainment.
Newn in the Hackathon 2017
This year, as novelty, the teams will have the possibility to compete with more developed projects. They could work in projects previously developed by themselves, and they will expose the projects to the jury and the rest of participants during the initial evaluation of the competition. In the competition, the teams will develop their proposals, and finally they will expose the whole project and the improvements developed.
The final evaluation will consider the value, utility and the developments of the project done during the competition. The jury, the own particiapnts and the competitors will propose what should be done in each project.
The duration will be 3 days during the CyberCamp 2017 event in Santander: It will start the friday 1 of december and will finish the sunday 3 of december. You can´t miss it!
Displacement and accommodation
The organitation will provide the displacement and the accomodation for every integrating of the project teams selected to compete in the Hackathon CyberCamp2017.
The best teams will obtain the following technologic awards:
- First prize: a professional tablet for every member of the winning team.
- Second prize: a next generation tablet for every member of the team in second place.
- Third prize: a next generation smartwatch for every member of the team in third place.
In addition, this year a special special mention will be given to the best classified project presented entirely by students a Raspberry Pi kit device for each of the members of the project team.
To choose the best teams, we have an expert jury:
- Vicente Aguilera (@VAguileraDiaz, Director of Internet Security Auditors).
- José Selvi (@joseselvi, author of Delorean - Prosegur Cybersecurity).
- Raúl Siles (@raulsiles, Dinosec founder and senior security analyst).
- Daniel García [cr0hn] (@ggdaniel, Investigador seguridad + SecDevOps - Innovation Lab BBVA)
- Carolina Gómez (Sh3llcon organization)
Registration and participation
The participation will be individual or with teams of 4 members maximun.
To participate the teams will have to choose a tool, solution, and/or cybersecurity application about open code on which they wish to carry out their developments, improvements and contributions, read the participation rules carefully, and register using the registration form available.
Check the dates well and reserve a slot in your calendar to showcase your talent on the CyberCamp 2017 Hackathon!
If you have any question, please contact with us via: