What is Hackathon?
A Hackathon is a collaborative software (or hardware) development meeting or event held over a short period of time in a playful environment. The term combines the words hacker (a restless person, anxious for knowledge, an expert enthusiast, often associated with software, hardware and technology) and marathon (in the sense of a competitive, collective experience with a common goal).
Objetives of the CyberCamp 2018 Hackathon
The hackathon of CyberCamp is a prestigious competition reconized by the cybercomunity. The hope of the fourth edition is to go further and increase the quality and the utility of the projects developed in the competition.
The contributions done during the Hackathon provide new capacities for the cibersecurity community, achieving results in a short time. Additionaly, we expect a continuity and a future evolution of the contributions and tools developed. ''Hackathon should be only the beggining...''
What's more, the Hackathon has the following objectives and benefits:
- Identification of talent and technical and creative skills of the participants.
- Provide an educational environment (teaching and learning) for the improvement of investigation skills and software development.
- Be an opportunity for the development of social skills, promoting collaboration, teamwork and networking.
- Development of skills and experience in a competitive environment with the support of an expert jury.
- Improve the interaction with the cibersecurity community to solve real problems.
- A recreational setting that promotes enjoyment and entertainment.
Previous editions of Hackathon
Details of the previous editions of the Hackathon are available at:
- Hackathon of CyberCamp 2017
- Hackathon of CyberCamp 2016
- Hackathon of CyberCamp 2015
- Hackathon of CyberCamp 2014
We suggest you watch the video summary of the previous editions:
Proposals of projects created by the community of cybersecurity
In addition to other news that we will reveal, this year the Hackathon is open to the entire cybersecurity community, offering the possibility of suggesting projects that provide solutions to existing needs, if they are viable as a proposal for participation in the competition (both for complexity as by scope), so that, if you are interested to work in any of them, you can create your project based on the ideas raised.
If you have an idea of a tool or solution and you can't participate in the Hackathon, but you would like someone to address it, you can join the Telegram group "Hackathon de CyberCamp" and post your idea following the guidelines indicated in the group.
If you have an idea (or intend to adopt one of the suggested projects) but you haven't a team, you can also use this group to indicate your interest and see if someone wants to team up with you.
Duration of the hackathon
The Hackathon will be held during the CyberCamp 2018, in Malaga, from November 29 to December 2 and will consist of the following main phases:
- Presentation of the proposal to the jury and the rest of the teams.
- Project development.
- Presentation of results to the jury and the rest of the participants.
- Publication of results.
Book these dates in your calendar!
Travel and accommodation
The organization will provide free accommodation in a hotel close to the event and will provide the travel within the national territory for all participants whose proposal is selected to compete in the Hackathon of CyberCamp 2018.
The participation will be done individually or by teams, with a maximum of 4 members.
Each one of the members of the best ranked teams will be given the following technological prizes:
- First prize of the Hackathon: professional laptop or equivalent for each member of the team that obtains the highest score in the Hackathon.
- Second prize of the Hackathon: ultrabook or last generation computer or equivalent for each member of the second best ranked team.
- Third prize of the Hackathon: professional tablet or equivalent for each member of the third best ranked team.
- Special mention to the best rated project presented entirely by students: next-generation tablet or equivalent for each member of the best classified project carried out entirely by students, provided they have not received one of the prizes described above.
Once again we will have an expert jury, who will advise the teams throughout the Hackathon, providing guidance and resolving their doubts. It will be integrated by:
- Vicente Aguilera (@VAguileraDiaz, Head of Audit Department - Internet Security Auditors).
- Jose Selvi (@joseselvi, author of Delorean - Prosegur Cybersecurity).
- Daniel García [cr0hn] (@ggdaniel, Security researcher + SecDevOps - Innovation Lab BBVA).
- Óscar García Gutiérrez (@INCIBE, Development Technician of INCIBE).
- Raúl Siles (@raulsiles, Founder and security analyst at DinoSec).
Registration and participation in the hackathon
To participate in the Hackathon, the interested teams should select the open source cibersecurity tool, solution and / or application on which they wish to carry out their developments, improvements and contributions, read carefully the participation rules and register before Monday the 5th of November 2018 at 21:59 CET, using the registration form and accepting the participation rules.
Do not delay it anymore and submit your proposal as soon as possible!
Stay tuned to updates of this website and our social networking profiles for final dates and Get ready to show your talent in the Hackathon CyberCamp 2018 and enjoy!
If you have any question, please contact with us via: